Saturday, April 11, 2009

Couponing

Ok, since I am no longer working outside the home, I have decided that my "job" should be to find ways to save us money.  In February, I went to a Couponing Workshop.  I was OVERWHELMED with information regarding how to use coupons.  It all seemed so complicated, and with a 6 month old, I am looking for as little complication as possible.  I have been clipping my coupons and trying to use them over the past couple of months, but it seemed like this week, something clicked with me, and I got totally in the coupon zone.  I have been reading this blog called Southern Savers (www.southernsavers.com).  The lady that writes this blog goes through all of the weekly adds for the grocery stores and pharmacies in her area, lists everything that is on sale, and also tells you what coupons are out there for those products.  She even gives scenarios using the weekly specials to show you how to use "overages" to get other products free or close to it.

I am not going to lie...I spent a lot of time this week reading that blog, printing online coupons, and trying to figure out what to buy from what stores.  Then, yesterday, I spent at least 3 hours in two grocery stores.  I think I could have gotten finished sooner, but with it being a holiday for a lot of businesses and the Friday before a major holiday, the stores were crowded.  Also, I had to ask store clerks to go in the back and find different items for me because other couponers had beaten me to the punch.  Thankfully, Andy was off work and kept Owen for me

Here is a little back-ground on my grocery shopping habits of late.  I usually spend between $90 and $120 a week at the grocery store.  That includes household items like laundry detergent and personal items like razors and make-up. Lately, I have been putting off going to the grocery store as much as possible, so before yesterday, I hadn't done a true shopping trip in several weeks.  On Thursday, when all I could find at the house to eat for lunch was a bag of microwave popcorn, I knew it was time to bite the bullet and go shopping.  I knew it would be a big trip since we were out of almost everything.

All of that to say, yesterday I spent a total of $121.45 out of pocket for my groceries.  My receipts show a savings of $91.50.  So that is a total of $212.95 worth of groceries that I bought for $121.45.  That comes to a total savings of 43% ($91.50/$212.95).  My question is was it worth it?  I think so, but I would like to know your opinions.  Would you invest that kind of time and energy into using coupons?

1 comment:

  1. Wow!

    I would for sure put that kind of time in to save over 40%. Very impressive.

    Can you explain a little more about the workshop? That sounds like a nice time investment.

    Also, thanks for the link to Southern Savers. This sounds like "the site I've been looking for" in our coupon quest!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete